Field Study #3




 Field Study #3

Wednesday, October 15



This is a picture of my sample site! Not much has changed since the last time I was here. The ground is still damp, but my little holes from my sample collection seem to have been pretty filled in after each visit. I wonder if this happened because of displacement of soil due to weather or if it was the result of something else.



This is a picture of a tree grown around a long strand of barbed wire. For as long as I can remember since I've visited this location when I was young, there has always been barbed wire, but I hadn't ever thought much more of it than stay away and don't trip over it or touch it, but this field study has helped open my eyes to human impact on the natural environment. This picture makes me sad, and made me feel the urge to clean it up. I am planning to go out asap to remove the barbed wire from this area and dispose of it safely.

Wednesday, October 15, 6:45pm
Conditions: Rained in the morning, dreary, little sun
Temperature: 58˚F
Length of day: 11hr
Organisms seen/heard: White tailed deer & squirrels

Experimental notes/wonderings:
Once again, the soil at my location was damp, but not as damp as the previous visit. I keep making the incorrect prediction that the leaves will change by my next visit. I am so surprised that it is now the middle of October, and I still haven't seen red, orange, or yellow leaves. Maybe next time, who knows, I've ben wrong the last few times, but you never know, maybe.

Comments

  1. Great work. Keep watching for patterns in the color change and leaf fall! Looks like that barbed wire might go through the tree...we'll get to talking about why when we get to the plant unit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Study #1