Field Study #2

 Field Study #2
Sunday, September 21




I was wrong in my prediction about the leaves in my location changing by this visit. Lots of the trees on the way to my location have changed to golden yellow, brown, and red, but the leaves in this location are still very green. Maybe by my next visit, they will have changed.


It's officially my second visit, and drawing my sound map has made me realize how much environmental impact there is around me, and listening to the sounds of the animals, I realize there is so much more living above, around, and underneath me that I don't usually take the time to notice.




I sketched plants that were all found in the same area because I wanted to research them, and if they were commonly found together. So far, I know that one of the plants is sassafras, which is known for it's smell when you crush it in your hand.

I took this picture to show how my sample site has changed since I was last here. There was bark covering the holes I had created to take my samples, an there were Woodlouse (roly poly) covering the bark and ground. It had also rained the morning I went out, and I am wondering if that could be a reason for the increase in Woodlouse population in this area since my last visit.

Sunday, September 21, 4:00pm
Conditions: Rained in the morning, sunny
Temperature: 85˚F
Length of day: 12hr 12min
Organisms seen/heard: Chipmunk, crow, other birds, crickets

Experimental notes/wonderings:
At my sampling location today, I noted that it had rained that morning making the soil more damp. The soil was harder to collect today than my last visit because the ground was very packed down. I am wondering if there will be any significant difference between my dry soil from visit one, and my damp soil from visit two when it comes to mass of organic material. Other than the soil being damp, there wasn't a huge difference between what I saw and heard this visit and last visit. I am hoping to hear/see some new animals on my next visit and see some changing leaves!

Comments

  1. Great work! Good observations. Be sure you dry your soil fully before you test it but you may want to make note of which ones were wet when you collected them...this may help you when you get to making conclusions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Study #1

Field Study #3